Tuesday 14 February 2012

How often do you...?

I was asked a question yesterday about How often do you...?

There are a couple of ways to answer questions like this.

① The first way would be to use adverbs of frequency like the ones below:

Always
Usually
Often
Sometimes
Occasionally
Rarely
Seldom
Never

Have a look at the simple Q&A dialogue below.  Notice that the adverb of frequency comes after the be verb and before the main verb!

② The second way is to give a more concrete answer by saying how many times you do something. Look at the patterns below:
Notice the 'Hmm, about...'  
You use about when the number of times you do something is NOT decided exactly.  So, for example, I eat sushi about three times a month, but I go to guitar lessons twice a week. (My guitar lessons are decided, Thursday and Saturday, every week but when I eat sushi is not decided.) 

I hope this helps you, for more information CLICK HERE to go to ESL Gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment